HIRAM W. CURTIS
Son of Polly (DUNNUCK) & Enoch CURTIS
Source: History of Logan County Illinois, Volume II by Lawrence B. Stringer, publ Pioneer Publishing Co. 1911 Chicago, IL, pages 86 & 87
Contributed by Sue N. Haschemeyer
Hiram W. CURTIS is one of the representative farmers of Mount Pulaski township, living on a fine farm of four hundred acres in section 35. He has been a resident of this state since 1853, in which year his parents, Enoch and Polly (DUNNUCK) CURTIS, came to the middle west. The fourth child in a family of six he first saw the light of day October 3, 1851, in Ohio.
Mr. Curtis remained with his parents on the home farm during his youth, assisting in the development of the place and thereby acquiring a good knowledge of agriculture in all its branches. His education was received in the public schools of the county, which he attended until he completed the regular course of study. He continued to make his home with his parents until he attained that age of twenty-three years. In 1874 was celebrated his marriage to Sarah A. Scroggin who was born in 1854 and was the fourth child in a family of seven children. Her parents were Russell S. and Elizabeth (LUCAS) SCROGGIN.
To Mr. and Mrs. Curtis were born nine children: Amos C. born November 19, 1875, has never married and makes his home in Montana. Nettie G., born July 26, 1877, became the wife of William RILEY of Decatur, Illinois, where they now reside, and two
children were born to them but the younger is deceased. George W. born August 11, 1879, married Mable F. HOLMES, a native of this state and lived in Logan county. This couple had one child but it died in infancy. Carter H., born July 4, 1884, wedded Mary E. KECK and they make their home in Logan county. Cecil, born April 22, 1882, died October 25, 1884. Frances O. born September 10, 1886, is the wife of George BOWERS, of Logan county. Oscar E. born March 2, 1892, is single and is now in Decatur, Illionois. Ellen E.,born Jan 28, 1894 and John R., born February 11, 1896 make their home with their parents.
Mr. Curtis has followed general farming his entire life, though stock-raising has also occupied his time. That he has made a success of his work is evinced by the fine appearance of his farm as well as by the expressed opinion of those who know him will. In political affairs he is allied with the democracy and has always voted that ticket at national and state elections. He has given of his time and labor to the community, having served a term each as road commissioner and tax collector. He holds memberships in Mount Pulaski Lodge, No. 290, Knights of Pythias, and in the Lincoln Lodge, No. 914, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. Living an honorable, clean and active life, he is a man whose word is considered as good as his bond and he has the respect and confidence of all who know him.
|Heirship Records - Logan Circuit Court, Journal #2, Film 6815 by Logan County Genealogical Society, Transcribed by E.P Gordan 1982|
|June 9, 1921 - death of Hiram W. Curtis|
|widow - Sarah
Amos C. - son
Nettie G. Riley - daughter
George W. - son
Oarter H. - son (should be "Carter")
Frances O. Bower - daughter
Oscar - son
Ellen E. Piatt - daughter
John R. - son
Enoch Curtis, a son of Thomas Curtis, was born on February 11, 1813 in Stafford County, Virginia. He married Polly Dunnuck in 1841 in Pikaway County Ohio, and came to Logan County. Their son, Hiram Wiseman Curtis, was born in Pickaway County Ohio, on October 3, 1851.
Russell Shelby Scroggin, a son of Carter T. and Phoebe Shelby Scroggin, was born in Logan County near Mt. Pulaski, Illinois in 1823. In 1846 he married Elizabeth Lucas, a daughter of John and Sarah Bowman Lucas. Their fifth child, Sarah Angeline Scroggin, was born on September 19, 1854 near Mt. Pulaski.
Hiram Curtis and Angie Scroggin were married on January 14, 1875, and went to housekeeping on a farm four miles south of Mt. Pulaski, Illinois. They had nine children.
(1) Amos Clarence, born on November 19, 1875, who married Maude Martin in Roberts, Montana, on November 29, 1919. They had no children
(2) Nettie Grace Curtis, born on July 26, 1877 and married William Riley. They had five children, Overt, Ralph, Elizabeth, Dale, and Laurene
(3) George William was born on August 11, 1885. His first marriage was to Mable Holmes. His second marriage was to Grace (Kautz) Barnes. He had two step-daughters, Barbara and Mary June Barnes.
(4) Cecil Curtis was born on April 22, 1882 and died on Octover 25, 1885.
(5) Carter Harrison was born on July 4, 1884 and married Mary Frances Keck. They had one daughter Thelma.
(6) Frances Ora was born on September 10, 1886, and married George Bowers on December 22, 1907. They had one son, Glenn Curtis.
(7) Oscar Edward was born on March 2, 1892 and married Katherine Kautz on December 24, 1921. They had one son, Edward Lester.
(8) Ellen Elizabeth was born on January 28, 1894 and married Orville Piatt on December 29, 1915. They had no children.
(9) John Russell was born on February 11, 1896 and married Naomi Downing on March 4, 1917. They had one child, Dorothy